Micah and Kahlil blundering around the world

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Norte Peru and its trails tribulations and perfect surf

First up apologies as it seems my card reader has bit the dust and so no photos, even though we have lost, including video of me pulling into some mackin pits at El Hueco. Currently in Lobitos....


We diddn´t get big swells at the big left (Chicama), but have hit some solid swells on other fine lefts since. At the moment we are housed up in Lobitos, in some chirtian peruvian dudes house. Its sweet for about $5 a night we just live there like a flat, he works all day so its just us and a couple of other surfers, and an insanely hot girl (taken unfortunatley). At the moment I am just completly zonked. I have been surfing every day now for so many days I have lost count, I think maybe more than ten. My shoulders are a world of pain and all my cuts have blossomed into beautiful sea ulcers, but I have pulled into (and made it out of a lot of) more epic barrels than in the rest of my life. Have been surfing the spots of El Hueco http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/South_America/Peru/North/el_hueco/index.html and Punta de Lobos.
The days are hot and the sun is blinding in the desert sands. The town of Lobitos is almost totally dead, a small colonial town deserted when the oil began to run out, so it is full of huge empty buildings full of bats with huge vultures overhead, the horizon is dotted with vast oil rigs out to sea and the sun sets through them is a big red ball every day. One always feels completey spaced out during the day, and the sea breeeze is so strong surfing is out of the question. I routinely get up at 5.15am to hit the waves, a punishing routine.
My spanish is slowly improving and speaking what little I do know comes now without effort, the words are packing in.
We went up past Cabo Blanco and Mancora. Cabo is a cool fishing town with heavy waves, mancora a tourist spot which is a bit dead now in the low seasonj but good for parties, with Micah and I gong out till dawn hanging at the beach.
A dude from Lima called Carlos came with us as far as Mancora. He was a funny little dude who was obsessed with surfing and white women, and as such always talked aout one or the other. Machisimo is commonplace here.
The food here rules, with Chicarron de mariscos being my personal fave, battered and deep fried squid and shellfish served with a special sauce. MMm mmm. I also dig the fried maize the give you beforehand to munch on while you wait, salty and good, better than peanuts by far.
Our car, Jesus, thankfully is running okay, but guzzles the gas and must take all hills in either first or second. We caught a taxi to talara today because its actually cheaper than driving the ten km.
Micah hired a rod and I have a handline so we fish a bit but si far have come up with naught but a tiny stingray. Bum. And micah still beats me at chess. Bum.

Kahlil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home